Choosing a good mattress is not a simple process. You have to consider all the types available, sizes and price. If you’re still figuring these out, check out our comprehensive mattress buying guide. But in this article, we’ll talk about another important point: when is the best time to buy a mattress in order to take advantage of the best mattress deals?
Of course, the best time to buy a new mattress is when you need on, since you do need to sleep on something. However, if you can hold off the purchase for a little bit, you can often find some incredible deals which would help you to save a lot of money in the process. So if your case is the latter, below are some deals to look out for.
When Is the Best Time of Year to Buy a New Mattress?
All major mattress brick and mortar stores regularly cycle through different inventory, replacing old models with new ones. Usually, the new models are rolled out in June, which leaves the stores with the need to clear out older mattress models. So quite often they’ll start offering discounts and various promotion deals starting from early spring and continuing through May. Sometimes, you can see discounts of up to 60% as the retailers are at pressure to sell off their inventory.
- Memorial Day deals are often used by retail stores as the last big push to clear out the old inventory before the new models arrive. This holiday promotions often offer 10-20% discounts on a large portion of their products, making it an ideal time to find a steal of a deal on a new mattress for your home.
- 4th of July is another holiday that is celebrated with big discounts at mattress stores. So if you weren’t able to find what you want on Memorial day, this presents an opportunity to get a good price break on one of the newer mattress models.
- Labor Day celebrated on the first Monday in September marks the end of the summer season. And many sellers use this holiday as an opportunity to boost their mattress sales with some good deals.
If you’d like to buy a mattress online, a great way to get some amazing deals is to wait for Cyber Monday. You might think that only tech companies use this holiday to offer huge discounts, but actually just about any online store does it, mattress stores included. You can check out online stores such as Amazon, Walmart or Target, where you can compare different discounts offered by various brands. Some sellers nowadays even extend the deals beyond Cyber Monday and offer them throughout the week.
Black Friday is another major event where the sellers offer some great deals and probably the best deals of the year. However, if you’ll go to a brick and mortar store, you’ll have to wage war against the huge crowds eager for a deal. A better alternative to that is shopping online. You can find just as good deals and discounts at online stores.
Amazon Prime Day
You can also find plenty of mattress options online and some of the best deals there you can usually find during the Amazon Prime Day, which occurs on the second Tuesday of July. At this time, many sellers offer great bargain deals for 30 hours. If you have the Amazon app, there you can view the Prime Day deals 24 hours ahead of time.
New Store Openings
To attract customers, new stores will often offer products at discounted prices. You can watch out for these new mattress stores both online and in physical showrooms. Watch out for ads or just browse through sites to see if there are any new stores and what deals they offer.
When any mattress store is going out of business, in a limited time it needs to get rid of all of its inventory. This means huge markdowns on the prices, which you can take advantage of to purchase a good mattress on a budget.
Other Ways to Save When Buying a Mattress
- Buy online. Physical showrooms have to markup their costs by as much as 50-60 percent in order to account for the overhead. Online stores, on the other hand, don’t have a physical location to operate, which allows to offer products with a lower price. But there’s a downside of course as well. You can’t really test the mattress. To make sure that you get a good mattress, look for product reviews and check if the seller offers a trial period and easy returns.
- Haggle. When buying a mattress at a brick and mortar store, negotiating the price is often expected. Just be confident and go for it. Decide on the maximum you’re ready to spend and use it as your walk away price. If the seller won’t offer a discount, you can also ask for extras. For example, they might be able to include in the package with the mattress, some pillows or bedsheets or a free delivery and set-up.
If you’ve determined that you need a new mattress, don’t be in too much of a rush to get one straight away. First of all, it’s important to take some time to research different mattress options to understand what type of mattress you want and how much you’re prepared to spend. Once you have a good idea of the mattress you’d like to get, you can start looking for the best deals. Remember, that the mattress sellers offer many sales throughout the year. So if getting a new mattress is not urgent, consider holding out till the next big sale.